6.18.2007

workin' hard for the money...?

A lot of you have been asking about my work. First off, I should note the big differences between doing a research project in Armenia and actually working in an office, NGO, as many of the friends I've made here are doing.

Work mainly consists of reading newspapers, watching TV newscasts, and surfing the Internet for Armenian news all in the name of determining how electronic media are transforming the overall media landscape and, in turn, influencing the democratic transition.

The answer so far: Not by much.

It's a solitary adventure, which for the most part I enjoy. After working at a newspaper for so long, where you're constantly dependent on others, it's nice to be able to do things my way. That means setting my own schedule, reading and writing what I want, and generally being independent.

The drawbacks, of course, are that I miss out on the collegial workplace environment. I have been doing some research in the resource library at the Caucasus Media Institute, but the resources available to me are limited.

As such, it's been challenging to stay focused and not wander the streets like a lost little puppy. Though I have deadlines, they require very little of me, other than the final research report, which isn't due until a month after I return. I try to schedule an interview or meeting every day so as to structure my time, but it's challenging even to stick to that.

Part of my grant requires me to volunteer my time as a media expert. I'm hoping to start some of that work soon with www.Hetq.am, Armenia's investigative journalists organization.

That's about all for now. I'm going to go to bed early for a change and wake up before 11 (shock!) to attend a conference on modern Armenians communities tomorrow. Should be interesting.

No comments: