6.20.2007

exchange rates

Today it hit the lowest I've seen in 2 1/2 weeks here: 341 AMD/$1. Only 2 1/2 years ago it was floating just above 500 AMD/$1.

Life is still relatively cheap, but it's left me wondering what money is worth nowadays. You used to be able to buy a shawerma and a tahn for a little more than a $1. Now it's about $3. A taxi anywhere in the center of the city was about $1. Now it's creeps closer to $2 to $3.

It's still inexpensive for me, but what about the rest of the country? How are their lives being affected? With massive influxes of tourists every summer -- Armenians eager to spend their money in the motherland -- prices for everything on the rise. Even apartments. My rent here costs more than what I was paying in Arlington.

The last time I was here I was stunned at the site of a Lacoste boutique on Sayat Nova. Now there's Hugo Boss, Levi's, Mango, and Benetton. If I can't afford it, who here can?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eleeza, Seda was in Karabagh a few months ago. Her suitcase to Yerevan did not arrive (and also on her way back it did not come with her) she did all her meetings for Shoushi master plan, giving a presentation in front of the two presidents, and all those big shots in one pair of pants. BUT she had to buy two pairs of very expensive shoes as soon as she got to Yerevan, she paid $400.00 a pair. that's expensive.

Anonymous said...

Hey Eleeza,
I'm really enjoying reading about your adventures in Armenia. Post some pics when you get a chance, ok?
Hugs and kisses from your hometown,
Laura

Anonymous said...

How about some pictures ??

Anonymous said...

Eleeza, I was wondering how you were doing! Glad to see you updating us all with your adventures.
Perhap's this is a good time-rising prices and all- for you to work on your "buying new shoes" issue. How are those clogs anyway?

kisses from the Central Valley.

Cindy