6.27.2007

sick

There are few things that irritate me more than being sick in the summer. In the winter it's expected and in some strange way a little comforting to stay home, bundled up in blankets, drinking soup.

But in the summer, in Yerevan, where it's hot and dry and you don't have a can of chicken noodle to make you feel instantly better, it leaves a lot to be desired.

I've had an unproductive couple of days due mostly to interview subjects flaking on appointments. Yesterday I ended up having nothing to do all afternoon so I just wandered around town, stopping for a bite to eat, grabbing a beer, then coming home to cook a quick dinner. It was as I was sitting on the couch, catching up on CNN that I started feeling the chills. I was wearing a tank top and it was windy outside, so I closed the window. Then I put on a long-sleeved shirt. Then I wrapped myself up in a blanket. I took a decongestant, thinking it was my backed-up sinuses bothering me again, but that's when I realized I was feeling pretty woozy and my whole body was aching.

It got progressively worse after that. I finally dragged myself to bed and tossed and turned most of the night until I woke up late this morning feeling only slightly better.

I think it's a flu and not a cold, because it's not just a runny nose (though my nose is still a bit stuffy.) I still feel somewhat woozy and weak. My plan now is to gather enough energy (my remaining Luna bar helped here) and go down to the corner to buy a big bottle of Sprite and, if I'm feeling a little stronger, try the hot and sour soup at the closest Chinese restaurant.

Hurry, Dad! Get here, so you can bring me soup!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh Eleeza! Summer sickies are the worst.
Get better soon.

Cindy

Anonymous said...

Hey Eleeza,
Isn't there some pomegranate tea you should be drinking? Hope you feel better soon.
laura

Christie said...

I'm sorry to hear you are sick, but I'm here in London sick as well. We can be 'stay at home sick' Internet buddies. Although, I can't take any sick days next week - too much work to do. I've just come down with mine since Friday morning. I'm hoping to beat it by Monday.