7.12.2006

tech nerd

OK, it's official. I'm a total dork about wifi.

I've spent the last few days in coffee shops editing a friend's book because there are way too many distractions at home -- namely the fact that I can surf the Web instead of paying close attention to Erin's fabulous essays on her time in Paris.

But still...the Internet beckoned. So at Starbucks I tried logging into their network, only to find that T Mobile's bullshit $6/hour fee was enough to convince me to focus only on the essays. Yesterday I tried Gypsy Den, but those dirty hippies can't keep the signal strong enough at The Lab, so once again I got a lot of work done.

Today, however, was a Golden Day. Fabulous Diedrich's Coffee has FREE WIFI!

I am officially a cyber dork.

As I finished the last of Erin's book -- see! I wasn't too distracted! -- I happily announced my newfound wifi paradise to anyone and everyone on G Talk (who probably cursed me as they worked the day away.)

I feel almost as dorky as my dad when we first got wifi at home and he sat outside on the patio giddy that he could play his weird online French card game with a cigar in one hand and the laptop in the other. (Sorry, Dady, but it's a really funny image and I had to use it.)

With my work behind me, I'm headed up to Northern California this weekend to see friends, catch a baseball game (yay Christie!), attend a wedding (what else do I do?), teach a journalism class (to high school kids -- it'll be fun!), and enjoy one last drive up and down this Golden State before I escape to the East Coast.

I'm looking forward to the long, peaceful drive. After nine weeks of constant companionship on what was supposed to be a solo tour (no complaints about my travel buddies, but still...) I'm looking forward to some alone time.

We'll catch up when I get back.

No comments: