7.20.2006

jit fong and sam got married


Finally attended the last of 2006's all-Register weddings. (Following Theresa and Mike, Zaheera and Larry, Sarah and Lev.) Jit Fong and Sam were happily married to one another on a beautiful sunny Saturday afternoon in Morgan Hill underneath a sprawling hundreds-of-years-old oak tree just outside the house where Sam grew up.

To top it off: I caught the bouquet. Now all I need is a husband.

But to back up, my fabulous weekend that started atop the Golden State, actually got going in Sacramento on Thursday, where I stopped to visit Cindy, who's moved to the Central Valley to pursue her dream of food writing. We had dinner in Davis at Sophia's (I'd had a craving all week!) and stopped in for coffee at Delta of Venus. I half-expected to see John Martins pop up with a pack of cigarettes or to see Jessey stumble out of G Street pub. Ahhh, good times.

Friday was spent in San Francisco, where I lunched with old roommates, indulged at H&M and joined Christie for beer and baseball at the fabulous AT&T Park. I gotta say, it was smaller than I expected, but still a nice venue for a ball game. Plus, sitting at field level made screaming: "BONDS YOU SUCK!" all the easier. Giants fans are a bunch of wusses. Nobody once told me to shut up. Pathetic.

Saturday was the wedding, followed by dinner and catching up with friends Erin and Jeff, who were staying at Erin's parents' house in San Jose for the weekend. I enjoyed learning the intricacies of speed pool and getting my butt kicked in poker by Erin's granddad.

Sunday came the leisurely drive to San Luis Obispo, where I was teaching police reporting to eager beaver high school journalist wannabes. It was the same two-week workshop I attended as a wee lass of 16 only 10 years ago. The kids are great and definitely ambitious, so it makes it a ton of fun.

Oh yeah, and drinking with the old dudes who first taught me the reporting ropes, was pretty damn awesome, too. I ended up staying an extra night for more debauchery in downtown SLO, before the haggard drive back to OC.

In the midst of all this, I confirmed that I do indeed have a roommate lined up for DC, making the apartment hunt that much easier. Woohoo! Karin is a colleague of Ali's, a California girl and very cool, to boot. Fingers crossed that by teaming up she and I will find a place soon enough.

Now if only I could find the will to start packing...

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I will cook Rally Monkey and eat her for dinner.

Jessica said...

I never stumbled out of G Street Pub! Cantina MAYBE, but G Street? Please!