7.19.2006

middle east update

Thanks to the many of you have written or called over the last several days to inquire about my family in Lebanon. My aunt and cousins in Beirut are doing just fine. My aunt's house is a distance from most of the major bombing targets. My cousin and her family have already moved to their summer house in the mountains and are very safe. Still, they've no doubt heard the buzz of warplanes and I'm sure are dreading the fact that they are reliving the civil war that they survived so many years ago.

We've had several close family friends who were in Beirut on vacation and suddenly found themselves trapped last week with the airport closed and roads destroyed. They all found a way out through Syria and are now also in safety.

It's been bizarre watching this unfold on telvision having just been there a month ago. Mostly, it's just very sad that it seems Lebanon will never be able to pull itself out of the vicious cycle of violence that's consumed this part of the world. Since my last trip to Beirut seven years ago, I've seen so many positive changes. Nearly all the reconstruction in downtown Beirut was complete, the new airport was polished and beautiful (compared to the bombed-out shell I arrived at on my very first trip to the Mideast in 1997.) Restaurants and resorts are booming and the Lebanese were once again enjoying their laid-back lifestyle. Now they're back to conserving electricitiy, hoarding food and water and dreading the sound of fighter jets.

And still, as a journalist, I have to say that I'm a little disappointed I missed my front-row seat to history. Many of you have scoffed when I said such things. I'm not saying it just to shock you, I really do wish I had the opportunity to see the destruction this world can wreak. It's what drives me to continue my pursuit of journalism because it's so important that these stories reach the rest of the world.

That said, I'm still anxious to return next summer to get a firsthand look at what's happened. My parents, on the other hand, may get an earlier peek. A few weeks ago they booked a trip to Beirut in October. They're haven't canceled their tickets yet. As my dad said: "October is a long time away."

No comments: