6.05.2006

opa!

Finally in Athens and extremely tired. Because I flew from Beirut, most flights to Europe leave early in the morning to make European connections. As such, I dragged myself out of bed at 1:30 (managed to get 2 hours sleep), got to the airport at 2 and my flight took off at 4, to land on time at 6 a.m. I made my way out of the airport, onto the metro and at my hotel in about an hour. I was preparing myself for all sorts of special Greek delays thanks to Erica's stories about traveling to Greece last year, but thankfully it was easy.

My last day in Beirut was restful, though very very hot. The humidity pressed down and I didn't feel clean and sweat-free until I arrved at the Fresh Hotel this morning. (more on how cool this place is in a bit.) In the morning we went to teh Armenian Catholic church in Bourj Hammoud (Armo ghetto of Beirut) for the seven-day remembrance of my uncle's funeral and visited his grave afterward.

Later in the afternoon, Arda, Raffi, Hrag and I drove to Bologne, the mountain village they call home in the summer. We were hoping to escape the heat there, but to no avail. Luckily the seafood restaurant they took me to was much cooler and the barbecued trout was probably the best I've ever had.

Now, I'm sitting at a computer at the very cool Fresh Hotel waiting for Dr. Freddy to show up. Kudos to Fred for picking a hotel that is not only cool for its stylishness (www.freshhotel.gr), but also because it offers free Internet access. Woohoo!

As I'm typing, I'm also checking headlines on CNN. This morning I watched a bit of Greek news and all I got was what seemed to be breaking news on an island. I kept hearing the word tourists and assumed the news must be that tourists were having a grand old time in Greece. Alas, it was this. Crazy, eh? So after dodging bombings in Dahab before I got to Egypt and a gunfight in Damascus shortly after I left Syria, now I have to be on the lookout for ex-cons.

Don't worry: Dr. Freddy will be here shortly to protect me. Or is that I'll have to protect him? Hmmm, we'll see.

Opa!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

My sister in law just got a countries of the world shower curtain for her motorhome. I showed her on that map all the countries you have been to and where you currently reside (Greece).

My SIL, who is planning a massive summer-long RV trip with her family to NorCal and Northwest USA and possibly Canada, had the following to say:

"I hate her."

But, I think she meant to say:

"What a glorious journey she is on, how enriching to the mind and soul!"
Or something like that.