6.17.2006

"Anywhere you didn't go?"

That was the only question Homeland Security Officer asked me at customs after landing at LAX yesterday afternoon after looking at my customs card and perusing the list of countries visited on this trip.

"Um, I didn't go to Iraq."

"Welcome home, ma'am."


He stamped my passport and I was out of there less than an hour after I got off the plane.

Since I started this trip with Larry and Zaheera's wedding, I figured it only appropriate to finish with them. I got home around 2, showered, dumped my entire suitcase into the hamper, beautified, got dressed and had lovely Kim and Chad come pick up so I could make Mr. and Mrs. Nista's 7 p.m. reception in Fullerton. It turned out to be a South Africa reunion. I caught up with the other gringos who made the journey south of the hemisphere. I even saw most of my Register friends who I've been missing for the last two months. (Missing the *friends* NOT the paper.)

So now I'm back home and the jetlag hasn't hit me yet though I do feel as though I'm moving in slow motion.. I went to bed at 11:30 and woke up at 7:30. I have a feeling there's going to be some nap time this afternoon.

Also, for all those who've been pestering, I got all 700 (!!!!) of my photos copied to my hard drive. I'm going to start organizing on Snapfish this afternoon. I'll post a few to the Web site later on, but if you want to see the whole thing, I'm going to break the albums up by country, so just let me know what you'd like me to send along.

With that, I'll leave with my favorite picture. It's on the road to the ninth country I came close to visiting. Sadly, it was a little out of reach this time. Maybe next time...

(Note: Read the sign above my head closely.)

1 comment:

Jessica said...

You're awesome. Send em all to me. Lord knows you've probably looked at 2,000 pics of my kids, and they've never even BEEN to Syria!