6.14.2006

8 minutes

That's all I have left on my Internet cafe account, so I'll make this a quick one.

Santorini is spectacular. Clearly this is where one must honeymoon. Too bad Fred and I aren't newlyweds, even though everybody thinks we are. The Hotel Galini is beyond fabulous. Our view is of the caldera, the big hole left by a prehistoric volcano, where some experts believe the legend of the lost city of Atlantis originates. It's basically a massive crater that split the island into one big island (Santorini) and a bunch of smaller ones and then was filled in by water. Phenomenal.

The wine and ouzo here are supposed to be the best in the country and from what we can tell, it's pretty damn good. Yesterday we rented a little yellow Hyundai and drove all over the island stopping at a red sand beach and then the little village of Ia. Everything is so damn cute I can't handle it.

Still, we're getting closer to heading back to Athens and I'm looking forward to it. Well, I'm looking forward to being home. Not the trip home. Right now we're booked on a nine-hour ferry back to Athens that arrives at 1 a.m. so we can take a taxi to the airport to make our 6 a.m. flights. We decided yesterday that'd be miserable. So now we're thinking of spluring on the high-speed four-hour ferry that gets us back at 4 p.m., but that means trying to find a cheap hotel near the airport, which so far has proven to be impossible.

So, I'll check in once more before flying out Friday morning. But if I don't, thanks for playing along! It's been a fantastic 2 months. I'm sure I'll be in touch with all of you when I get back Friday afternoon, just in time for Larry and Zaheera's second wedding reception (If customs doesn't hassle me over my list of countries visited on this trip -- I'll be seeing some of you Friday night.)

As you know, I still don't have a cell phone since I had to give mine back to the Reg when I quit, so just call me at home until I buy/sign up for cell coverage. You should know the digits. And if you don't...well, email me. I'm not about to publish that online.

Gotta go! About to be kicked off!

Love, wine and ouzo kids!

No comments: