4.15.2006

guten tag von frankfurt!

The following comes is an email I just sent my mother because I'm too cheap to pay more than 1 euro for the piddlz subway Internet station. Besides, it covers all the bases. (Sorry you don't get original details, Mom.)

Also, Jessez, I DID have a frankfurter. It was DELICIOUS.

One final note, I board my flight to Cape Town tonight at 10 p.m. only to arrive 12 hours later, wait 2 hours for another 2 hour flight to Durban, where I will promptly fall to pieces at Zaheera's aunt's house before preparing to leave on safari the next day at 7 a.m.

In other words: Don't expect another post for a few more days.

Enjoy!

Hello from Frankfurt!

Thank you for the numbers. I arrived in Frankfurt at 10 a.m. and now it's 530 in the afternoon. I'm exhausted and can't wait to go to sleep on the flight to South Africa. I slept only a few hours on the flight to Germany. While I was stretching my legs near the kitchen I met a girl from Halab (Aleppo, Syria for my neophyte readers) who was flying to Beirut via Frankfurt. She's a medical student at AUB (American University of Beirut). She was excited to hear of my ties to Halab and AUB. She's an Arab Christian, in case you're wondering. While we were talking about languages a Frenchman overheard us and the three of us spent three hours talking and had breakfast together after we landed. He's a French Jew who lives in LA. Imagine that picture, the Armenian, Arab Christian and French Jew drinking wine on the plane then eating eggs in Frankfurt (we decided to have breakfast together before going our separate ways). I'm hoping to see her when I'm in Beirut in June. Because she has a Syrian passport she could only get a transit visit for Frankfurt and couldn't leave the airport with me, but she also had a 10 hour layover. I'm returning to the airport soon to have dinner with her before her flight. The Frenchman already left for Paris.

In Frankfurt, I took a train to the city center stop the woman at the Lufthansa counter recommended. It's a very lively area with a mall on one side of the river and a massive bazaar on the other, sort of like Vernissage but with almost all Arab vendors. Very odd. Walking along I found a museum (Koonsinstitut) the Frenchman recommended and got the student rate so I spent about an hour walking around and then managed to take a 20 minute nap while pretending to watch a video about Max Beckmann. I really can't wait to go to sleep.

Miss you already.

Shad bachignerov,
Eleeza

3 comments:

Jessica said...

That sounds like the beginning of a very naughty joke...
An Armenian, a French Jew and an Arab Christian walk into a bar...

I'm glad you had a frankfurter!
It's a wonderful thing to eat the native food in countries you visit. :)
That's why I had tacos in Ensenada.
Ciao bella!

fong said...

Woo hoo! I'd loooove to go on safari sometime.

Jessica said...

Eleeza, do you find it odd that you may or may not be following Brangelina around the globe?
Hmmm. Are you a paparazzo? Watch out for the lion guards.