11.29.2007

Hey Tom Friedman, GW kids want to help unflatten the world


As I walked out of the Farragut West Metro stop during my lunch break today, I noticed a group of GW students holding homemade signs asking for money to help finance their "alternative" spring break. I scoffed, seeing as how GW is the most expensive school in the country. At a little more than $50,000 a year for undergraduates, I'd imagine mom and dad are OK with supplementing at least some of that, even if you're taking out some loans.

As I was chuckling to myself, one of the more obnoxious students yelled to some passerby: "Even famous New York Times staff writers can donate!"

Wait...whaaaa? I looked at the man walking ahead of me. Was there...? Could there have been a hint of a moustache on that face? I stepped up the pace as he came to a stop at the corner, subtly turned my head and...Sure enough! Thomas "The World is Flat" Friedman!

Because I'm such a nervous nelly around celebrities (see George Clooney siting) sitings, and yet a total teenage girl (yes, even for NYT columnists), I was too excited to say hi or mention how much I loved his "From Beirut to Jerusalem."

Though I'm sure he would've been amused to hear praise from a girl in a red coat and silver shoes.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Silver shoes sound VERY Aramaki.
Love it!