1.24.2007

this must be what it feels like for the rest of the country to watch the super bowl

Since I missed the Big Time Dem Party on Election Day (which totally should be a national holiday for many reasons, not least of which the fact that win or lose you're going to want to drink at the end of the day), I figured I had to do something appropriately DC-esque for the State of the Union.

Alison and I tried to go to a SOTU bingo party but apparently RSVP'ed too late. (Yes, in Washington these types of parties fill up fast. MASSIVE nerds.) So instead we hit up Adams-Morgan and settled on a bar that advertised $5 buckets of beer and jello shots every time Bushie utters your chosen word (mine were "energy" and "diplomacy." Energy, as you *should* know came up several times. Diplomacy not so much. Though Whelan kindly corrected me to point out that he did say it four times. The midget barkeep owes me jello shots!)

The packed bar actually fell silent once the speech started, though there were appropriate boos and cheers. Being a blue-tinged bar, Hilary got a lot of whoops and hollers and Bush plenty of hisses. To be fair though, more than a few of us suggested Ted Kennedy was perhaps past his prime, if I may be so bold.

Some of my favorite comments from the night:

"More Dikembe, less Bush!" (By the way, I do believe Georgetown was the only university mentioned in the speech. Go HOYAS!)

"Woohoo terrorism!" (She wasn't actually cheering jihad so much as hollering for her free shot.)

And my favorite: "Ethanol sucks!" (From your tree-hugging friend and mine: Ali D. You stay classy Ali D.)

4 comments:

Alison Williams said...

SOTU drinking games are awesome. But, slight correction to your post: I said that vouchers suck; while ethanol (corn ethanol, to be more precise) doesn't just suck, it sucks hard. Wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong impression.

Anonymous said...

Just shut up. You try to confuse.

Jessica said...

SOTU jello shots!?!?
What the hell!

Jessica said...

PS I heard Ted Kennedy say something about how the raise in the minimum wage would help get "women and children and others" out of poverty.
Others?
What others?
Does he mean men?
Are there other others?
Does he mean The Others?
("Lost" returns on Feb. 7)