12.10.2006

what weekends were like pre-graduate school

I'd forgotten what it was like to have a weekend that didn't require an entire afternoon devoted to reading, researching and writing. A whole weekend to do whatever I wanted. (See how I'm not letting those last two teeny papers get in the way of my fun? Don't worry, mom. I'll get my work done.)

Saturday I went to Eastern Market for my first trip there. If it wasn't 30 degrees, I'm sure I would have enjoyed it much more. But I'm already planning return trips for cute jewelry, fun artwork (though maybe not a set of wooden ducks that Vahan decided his house desperately needed), and some delicious fresh meats and seafood.

In the evening we dined on bratwurst that we'd picked up at Eastern Market, then headed out to a rather odd little U Street bar, which may be my new favorite watering hole: The Saloon. They've got some rules that work in their favor:

* No standing around the bar. If you can't find a spot to sit, you're asked to leave.
* No loud conversations. Only your friends are interested in what you have to say, not the five people sitting around you.
* Some beers you can only have one or two glasses of, because it's just that precious.
* Black chocolate stout may in fact be liquid heaven.

Afterwards we headed over to Twins Jazz for some excellent music, probably the best chicken wings I've ever had, and a Guinness, for good measure.

This morning was Vahan's famous brunch: homemade hash browns, sausage, French toast, and omelettes made to order.

A weekend of good eats, in all. The training for marathon holiday eating has commenced.

Also, for those keeping track at home: I'll be home in just one week! Get ready!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

The first weekend after I graduated, after all the family had left town again, I sat around the house. I kept feeling as though I ought to be studying/reading/writing, and I couldn't quite believe that I could go out and have fun without schoolwork looming in the back of my mind the whole time. But really it only took that one weekend to adjust to the freedom.

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

i was going to stay in nyc to finish my thesis in the romantic notion of a snowed in apartment on the upper west side, however, my mumsy won out with a simple, "i miss you so much" e-mail, and suddenly a new charge showed up on my credit card. by which, all i mean to say is, i too shall be in irvy soon.... just a few days though: 24-28.