8.28.2006

and now back to work

On my first day at work, in training with three other new project assistants, two of them turned out to be from California. It's nice to have a piece of home so close.

My two bosses are two dudes who've done some crazy work abroad (read: Kosovo, Bosnia, Ukraine, etc.) and spent their first meeting with me discussing their fantasy football teams, the work touch football team and me giving them fashion advice. We agreed we'd be getting along famously in no time.

Also: Registered for classes today. I'll be taking a required intro course, a class called "Culture of War, Culture of Peace," and likely a third called "International Relations, Information and Technology." But with classes starting Wednesday and Labor Day being Monday and my classes only being on Mondays and Tuesdays, I'll be sitting pretty until Tuesday. And really only launching into it in two weeks. Will this summer never end?

Save the hate mail. I'm definitely taking advantage of being in this awesome city. Saturday night I went out with my favorite shrink and his buddy, Moto. (That's his super secret call sign -- he's a test pilot for the Navy. Cool, no?) We had dinner in Georgetown then hit a few bars, which mostly turned out to be undergrad dives. Still, it was fun pretending to be 21 again.

I definitely felt 26 when I woke up Sunday after a nearly sleepless night. I rallied back with a good amount of gatorade and again headed for Georgetown. This time to the waterfront to meet up with some of my new friends, who organized a canoeing trip on the Potomac. What a great way to end the weekend. Especially with views like this:



See that little red building up on the right? This one:



That’s where my department’s office is. Awesome.

2 comments:

Ellyn said...

Hi.

Anonymous said...

so, uh, visiting is still an option, right???