5.01.2006

narrowly escaping death

Courtney is convinced I nearly caused my own Santa Ana-style pedestrian death on the streets of downtown Cairo. I think I was just exhibiting a brash sense of confidence. Regardless, we're both alive and well and even survived our 11-hour train ride from Cairo to Luxor. The air conditioned, first-class cabin was a welcome reprieve. Two Benadryls also helped the ride go much smoother as I slept for a good 8 hours of the trip.

We needed the rest as it is approximately 500 degrees here in Luxor. Imagine the inside of a blowdryer on full blast and that's what it feels like here. After a two-hour power nap, we caught a taxi to the Karnak temple and marveled at the architectural wonder of it all. Then, for kicks, we tried one of the minibuses to the Luxor Temple, which is literally in the front yard of our hotel, the Nefertiti Hotel (a steal at $9US a night.) For that price we get a private room, our own bathroom, a/c and breakfast. I don't understand why more Americans don't visit here.

OH yes, more on languages. We heard Egyptians today speaking fluent Chinese, Japanese and Polish, in addition to Italian and Spanish. Globalization is hilarious.

The hassling here is far worse than in Cairo, probably because this is a predominantly touristic spot. Every few steps someone offers to "help" not "hassle you." One store went so far as to name itself the "No Hassle Shop." To their credit, nobody outside tried to veer us in. My favorite line, however, is "No charge to look." Aieeee. We're going mad. Can't wait for Sharm, where we hear it's much less of a hassle, so to speak.

Tonight we're contemplating a belly dancing show and likely an early bed time for a trip to the Valley of the Kings early tomorrow morning. I'll try to update again tomorrow, though tomorrow night, we catch a flight to Sharm.

Also, FINALLY burned my photos to a CD, but I can't seem to get blogger to post them. I'll try again later when I'm not sitting in the middle of 100-degree-plus-heat. Aiee...

2 comments:

Jessica said...

500 degrees?!?! That is why I don't visit there!
It's friggin 70 here and I'm steaming.
I've become sissified up here in the mountains. Though I can go out in the snow in flip flops...it's a trade-off.

Christie said...

If Egypt is anything like India, you were playing frogger with your life. Be careful!