5.25.2006

ahlan wa sahlan

Arabic, translation: Welcome

I got to Lattakia last night after a four-hour bus ride from Damascus. I arrived in Damascus on Tuesday afternoon and spent a night with Nelly Yacoubian, a friend of the family. She showed me around the old, narrow streets of Old Damascus. It's a little like Venice, with narrow alleyways leading into beautiful courtyards and old houses that have been converted into restaurants.

On Wednesday we visited the Hamadeeyeh, an old covered market. I limited my shopping to a pair of leather sandals and splurged on a turquoise necklace. I figured the expenses here are going to be minimal and frankly I deserved a nice necklace...right? Too bad the Armenian jewelery I bought the necklace from would NOT shut up. He was pushing 50 and looking for bride. He kept pestering Mrs. Yacoubian about her daughters. She told him they'd all gone to America and he was out of luck. Ugh. Shadaghos. (translation = too talkative)

The bus ride to Lattakia was very comfortable. Avo picked me up from the bus stop and we stopped off at home before heading out to dinner, then for some nergeelah along the coast.

For the Agopians: Areen has grown up into a very cute little girl. Saturday is her fourth birthday. She's talking slowly, but is quickly learning English. She keeps bringing me books and demanding: "Read this Leeza!" I'm trying to get her to say my full name, but it'll take time. It didn't take long for her to open up. She's jumping into my arms and gives me hamov bachigs. (Big kisses) She's so much fun to play with.

Tomorrow, my cousin Avo and I are going to Palmyra. If there's time we'll also visit Crac Des Chevaliers. I'll report back after that journey.

No comments: