8.11.2007

repatriation

I've finally recovered...mostly. And just as I was starting to feel somewhat normal, we moved. It was a good move though -- I'm finally living in a city...temporarily. Sort of. My life is so complicated. Le sigh.

K and I moved to 11th and W, just two blocks from the funness of U Street bars, restaurants, and cafes. A short walk from Adams-Morgan, and Dupont. And, most important, only two blocks from a metro station. It no longer matters that I don't have a car. Hooray! Everyone is welcome to come and visit...but only after September. You see, we're cramped in a one-bedroom this month until the two-bedroom upstairs is vacated and cleaned, so we can move all our junk (again) into the more appropriately sized apartment.

Though it's cramped and a bit of a pain. I've got plenty of little get-aways planned to keep me out of the house. (In addition to not having Internet, which means I spend a couple hours a day in a coffee shop.) Tomorrow I'm flying to Boston to see Vahan, who's spending his summer vacation as a counselor at Camp Hayastan. After giving a lecture to the kid, he and I are staying at a fancy Boston hotel, before I take off for three days in Vermont to meet little Abigail, Rebecca's new daughter. I'm looking forward to a week of Americanness (with a little Armenian-Americanness thrown in for good measure.)

The last two weekends in August will be spent in NY. First for a wedding of Vahan's former coworker, then for AYF Olympics in Newark (admittedly not in NY, but close enough that I plan to spend a lot of time there.)

And after all that, we can *finally* move into a normal-sized apartment. And classes will start. And the long, slow march to a master's degree will resume.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

When I saw that you were at Busboys and Poets I thought maybe the one in Shirlington had opened, but then I realized you'd probably just moved.

Have fun with the new baby! My friend Rebecca also named her baby Abigail. Coincidence? I think so.

Rebecca said...

Welcome back, and thanks for visiting! Hope you get into your new apartment soon...these things always take longer than one would like.