11.27.2006

lowdown on motown

The semester is winding down and I can't wait until Dec. 17 when I can officially shut off my brain for a good solid three weeks, gorge myself on my mom's cooking, and watch some good trashy TV.

Life is moving at a fever pitch in the last month or so. School is definitely on the upswing and so is work and to top it off there's been a new friend who I've been spending some time with. Normally, I wouldn't broadcast this to Internet-land, but it's the only way I can explain why someone would choose Detroit as a vacation destination.

Yes, the Motor City. I was there from Friday-Sunday, partying it up with my new Armenian friends and their families and generally blowing off the steam that's been building up since I moved here mid-August. It was also the first time I'd left the beltway in three months. I was desperate to get the hell out of Dodge. So when I was invited there for the weekend, it seemed like the ideal vacation spot.

Armenians + food + friends + dancing = a rockin' good time. Even if it's in the Midwest.

Don't believe me? Have a look:



With some fun Detroit kids at the AYF dance on Friday night.


With my two favorite Detroit Tigers.


They got art in Detroit, too. (Diego Rivera's murals in the Detroit Institute of the Arts.)

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Oooooh, new friend huh?

Dude, totally off topic, I'm still working on your blanket...it's coming along though...

Jessica said...

Should I send your blanket to your mom's house?

Anonymous said...

congrats on getting away!

i have a totally off-topic comment.... feb. 28 and mar. 1 my favorite band guster is playing in dc for student types. if you get a chance, you should attend. methinks you would appreciate them. =)