7.13.2007

this one goes out to Dikran

I've been having trouble logging into Blogger due to Armenia's generally poor telecommunications infrastructure coupled with the fact that I'm handicapped by a weak dial-up connection at home. No matter. I promised Dikran a blog posting (apparently it sucks without updates) and so I'll deliver.

Also hampering my communications these past two weeks has been my dad's visit. Though we didn't travel around the country very much, we somehow managed to fill our days in Yerevan between visiting friends, lounging at cafes, and probably eating too much. (Sorry, Mom.)

So in honor of my dad I'll share my favorite story from his week here. I will preface the story by saying that I'm now officially boycotting Magnolia, an opera cafe next door to Megheti (Melody in English.)

A few days ago we stopped in this cafe for lunch. Dad was craving ghorovadz (BBQed pork) and wanted to sit outside. He ordered a beer and the waiter said they had beer on the tap, so I ordered one, too. The waiter arrived with our drinks and placed a very tall beer in front of my dad and a much smaller glass in front of me.

I gave him a funny look and dad told him he didn't order a large beer. The waiter replies: "Here we give the women smaller glasses."

As you can imagine, the fury began to rise in me. I glared at him and said: "Aren't men and women equal?"

"Oh yes, yes, but that's not the issue. We give women smaller glasses because they're lighter and easier to lift."

This is when I kindly informed him that I'm a feminist and I won't hear such nonsense.

After we finished lunch and the bill came, they of course charged us both 600 AMD (about $1.50) for each beer, regardless of the fact that I was served only about half what dad got.

Only in Armenia.



P.S. It seems I've finally been able to upload a photo to the blog (though it took some time). I'll try to post two or three more here and there when I can.

No comments: