3.30.2007

one year

Apologies for the schmaltzy post. Just wanted to put down some thoughts that I've been ruminating over lately.

Exactly a year ago today I left my job at The Paper and got ready for a two-month trip round the world, a move across country, going back to school and generally starting a new life.

In that time I saw four new countries, started a job in a brand-new field and one that I'm really starting to love, found someone that I really do love, and generally fell in love with my new city and school. Now I'm preparing to spend two months in Armenia doing my own academic research (frightening but exciting), starting the second half of graduate school (and the more frightening prospect of writing a thesis), and in just one more year figuring out the next steps in my life.

As I was talking to Sarah the other day, she commented on how much my life had changed in the last year and how it was exactly what I'd been trying to do for so many years but just couldn't figure out the HOW part. She's right. It took me a while to figure out what to do if I went back to school, but once I got that part down, everything else just sort of naturally followed.

I've felt pretty fortunate in the last year, but I also feel like it's been well-deserved, so I won't make many apologies about it. Only one more thing could make this year perfect: A Georgetown win in the final four tomorrow night! HOYA SAXA!

5 comments:

Ellyn said...

So happy you're happy. But miss you like heck, chick-a-dee.

Jessica said...

I'm soooo happy that you're happy! If anyone deserved a gold star hookup, it is you my darling, my sweet E-Sleaza. Though I do miss you terribly.

Miss you tons!
Love, Jessey

Anonymous said...

I couldn't help but notice you neglected to give proper credit for all of your life accomplishments to Vahan. One would assume an individual with so much indebtedness would seek any opportunity to express their gratitude. How do you sleep at night???

eva said...

Dear conscientious objector:

First: I sleep just fine. Second: I've had a little something to do with my life's accomplishments than Vahan's ego would lead you to believe and Third: You are a gay.

Ellyn said...

I forgot to call and tell you happy belated 20th b-day. I miss you!